Saturday, November 3, 2007

Who is Snowbird?


They call me the Crazy Canadian down here. I moved to Lake Mary, Florida seven years ago from Alberta, Canada for a three year contract and just haven’t left. I fell in love with Florida and the thought of moving back to the icy north was not appealing at all.

My husband and I have introduced a whole new culture and language to our neighborhood. “How’s it goin, eh?” , “Toques”(headwear worn in Canada) , “Canadian Fire Extinguishers” for the Bar-B-Q (a spray bottle full of water), “Grog” ..you pick fruit off the trees in your backyard and mix it with IceBerg Vodka (made in Canada), and a whole bunch of holidays that they had never heard of (Family Day, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Heritage Day, Thanksgiving in October, and the best of all Boxing Day.

I worked for a Software Development company for seven years and when I was offered an Executive Layoff two years ago, I grabbed it. After a month or so I was looking for something to do. I had been to Sun City several times to visit my parents who camped a few miles south at Little Manatee River State Park every winter, so I decided to take a closer look at Sun City for investment purposes. I fell in love with the City and all it had to offer. I had no idea that they even built communities specifically for those 55 years young and up.

It wasn’t long before I had purchased my first two units in Kings Point and began renovating. I could write a book on all the things that went wrong, but after two months of blood, sweat and tears, they were completed and ready to rent out. The first year all the neighbors in Kings Point helped me fill them up since I didn’t have time to even think about marketing them.

I have since added a website and this fall started my Blog. I wanted to tell people about all the things that get me fired up about life in Sun City. I hope you enjoy and will someday visit us.

I would love to hear your comments on my Blog. Tell me what you want to learn about Sun City, Florida

Don’t forget to check out our website at http://www.snowbirdnests.com

No comments: